Friday, June 21, 2013

][-][OME

Flame trees - Murwillembah NSW
I was born in NZ in 1970. I always felt like i was 'misplaced' untill 1982 when 'Down under'  was released by  Men At Work. And Power & the Passion, by Midnight Oil. I dont know what it was about those songs, but it was like an awakening of sorts. I knew i was meant to move to Australia. And that weird feeling was confirmed in  In 1985, all doubt was removed1985 by Gangagang, with 'This is Australia'. I knew in 1982, that i wanted to live in Australia - it was the place to be. In 1986 my mother and sister moved to Australia, leaving me behind. Mainly because i was scared of snakes and spiders. [NZ has no snakes, and the spiders are tiny]. I did however, follow in May 1987. And now, 26 years later,3 states later,  i've never looked back. I'm home, & i'll never look back.
Since moving to Australia, I have lived in Katherine NT, Maryborough QLD, Bundaberg QLD [where i met & married my 1st husband. Had my first daughter] Ocean shores NSW [2nd daughter then seperated], Murwillembah NSW [divorced. Met 2nd husband-to-be] Moved to Orange NSW [Married 2nd husband. Had 1st son] Now i live in Blayney NSW, Am raising 2nd daughter, 1st son and 1st grandson [by 1st daughter, who now lives in Brisbane QLD, near her dad]
I have lived in Oz for 26 years. I would have no intention of going back to NZ, [if my son didnt want a cheap plane trip so badly]. Every time i hear ''Down under', 'Power & the passion' & 'This is Australia', It's like a breath of fresh air. I belong in Australia. I wasn't born here, but my accent has fused into an Australasian one - very hard to pick the kiwi bit. I dont consider myself a kiwi, and if it came down to it, i'd fight for Australia all the way. I'm not an Australian citizen on paper, only because i haven't got around to it. By I AM an Australian, in every other sense of the word! Being born here doesnt make someone patriotic. I chose to make Australia my home, as opposed to being born here by accident. I love everything Australian and in fact, Australia Day is my favourite celebrated holiday - above Christmas & Easter. I'm as Australian as it gets!
And, 26 years later, those songs still remind me of how my fate came to be. They make me smile & i feel grateful :o)