Thursday, November 20, 2008

How Much Does Dignity Cost?

I have a job as a casual, packing Christmas hampers. I really like this job, especially the social interaction, and i look forward to going each day. At first, I didn't need this job. I just wanted to get out of the house and help contribute to the household income for my own peace of mind. But now we kinda rely on it, with Christmas coming an' all.
It's nearly Christmas and most of the hampers should have been delivered by now, but there were problems with missing stock and the past two weeks were spent waiting for the new stock to arrive.
Today we went back to work and the whole day was horrible! The two supervisors [aged 22 and 19 mind you] now have to work us extra hard to get the hamper orders out, but they are going about it the wrong way. The main supervisor is barking orders at us like we are second rate citizens. "Work harder, faster, more efficient, do it better!" We are people, working at a good rate for those 4 specifications, but it's not good enough. I gave 110% today [As most of us did], with no praise, just constant complaint about how fast the hampers AREN'T getting done!
I had a really sore back due to the type of work i was doing. When there was a break in boxes going past, i sat for 10 seconds to give my back a much needed break. The second supervisor saw me from across the factory and yelled at me, "Stand up!" I did stand up, but i glared at him. Causing him to shake his head as he walked past.
At the finish of our shift, we were asked to stay an extra half an hour. I said i couldn't because i needed to pick up my kids. The first supervisor said, "I don't want to hear excuses! If you are going to go, just go!" And i did.
I love this job, but today i left feeling like a Jewish slave in Egypt - just without the whip! I felt belittled, used, and irrelevant & I didn't want to go back...ever.
I came home and had a soak in the bath to heal my muscle soreness & I moaned to my refuge, my darling husband.
Then i got a text from my boss, asking me to go back tomorrow. I thought about it for a couple of hours.
We need the money, but at what cost? My dignity and self respect for $17.36 per hour?

I said i would do it and now i feel dirty, as though i have sold a part of my soul :o(