Saturday, September 22, 2012

So i have this bung leg.....


16 years ago i was hit by a car and pinned to a parked car. The spotlights of the car that hit me, shattered into the back of my knees.and cut up a lot of nerves.I was 8mo pregnant with Rose at the time and it was only by the Grace of God that she lived through it and my legs weren't broken!
It all repaired kinda nicely, though the left side in my left knee has had no feeling ever since. And since moving to a colder climate my right leg aches a little at night in winter when its really cold.
This year however, as soon as it started cooling down, my right leg got worse and worse. I went to the doc and he thought it may be a pinched nerve and to return in 2 weeks. In that time it got so bad i developed a limp so i went back and got some meds for it. I had an x-ray that showed no bone/weight bearing damage [in fact my knee joints look fantastic for my age!] and i got an appointment to see a bone specialist [with a 2 month wait]. I got blood tests too.I kinda got the impression that he thought i was bunging it on a bit. Either that or he just didn't want to deal with it. Either way, i felt under cared for. I'm sure he could get me into see someone quicker if he really wanted to.And an [expensive] bone specialist? I'm no doctor, but haven't we established that the bones look good? And i'd put money on the guess that its nerve/ligament issues. Because i can tell its in the tissue and not the bone. But he didn't even want to entertain that idea.
It got to the point where my left leg was nursing my right leg, and my right leg could only really shuffle along. I couldn't lift it at all. If i tripped on a toy or a shoe etc, it would hurt like hell. Then one day my leg gave way while trying to get up our 2 front steps and i landed on it, hurting it even more.
I knew theres nothing my doctor would do for me [ei: stronger pain killers] All i could do was sit/lay around and friggen cry and i did.
Then i had a thought. If i cant walk, i should be in hospital. Then the doctor will HAVE to care for me and in a timely manner!
But John didnt want me to do that. Instead, he took me to our old [You beaut but bloody expensive] doctor who thought it may be clots and sent me for an ultrasound straight away. There was no clots but the specialist appointment got moved forward to next week [yay!]
Some days the leg hurts so much, i cant move it. Other days it feels so good, i get as much housework done as possible, go overboard, and stuff it for the next day.

So here i am, about 4-5 months after it started hurting. I walk like a penguin when i do walk. It feels best when i lay down [doesn't hurt at all] but the downside to that is i fall asleep during the day then cant sleep at night very well. When i first get up in the morning its stiff and takes a good few minutes to get to the loo. As soon as it feels pressure its starts swelling around the knee. I can feel it swelling and its weird.
John bought me a Galaxy Tablet that was supposed to be for my birthday in Nov. I'm very grateful for it keeping me amused  too!
Rose is worried that i'll fall randomly and John is worried that i'll do some irreparable damage to it in between drawn out specialist appointments.And i would just give anything to be able to walk normally.Just walk and walk and walk. If they sort my leg out, i will NEVER take mobility for granted again!

UPDATE: I went to a bone specialist who found damage from the car accident previously not picked up. I had a shifted bone that has been rubbing down under my knee cap all these years and is now touching the ligament [Eeewwwww!!]. I can not have an operation because i'm an asthmatic, but i've been put on a starvation diet to lose as much weight as possible [without getting anorexic] as fast as possible. Although my weight didnt cause the injury, every spare kilo is aggravating it. I have to get all access weight off before they look at it again. And quickly because at the rate i'm going, i'll be completely immobile within 12 months.
Rose assured me that if i end up on a mobility scooter that we'll pimp it up nicely. But i think i'll work towards avoiding that , and i am :o)