Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pretend Wrestling

When i was a kid [aged 4-11ish] i loved watching the wrestling. But in the 70's it was real wrestling. I had my favs and i knew everything about the talent. As far as i can remember it was only NZ wrestling.
But i grew out of it or it lost it's popularity and vanished from TV, one of the two.
Then WWS and WWE etc came into popularity. I never watched it and i didn't want my kids watching it. In fact, whenever i saw an add on TV or knew one of the kids' friends was watching it, my only thought was, "I don't want the kids watching that crap." My memories as a kid were of "real" wrestling. Then this new stuff comes in and it's all fake, rehearsed and with stupid characters. Why bother wasting time on it?
Then, two nights ago i was staying up late, doing scrapbook stuff on the computer. The kids were long asleep and the tele was on in the background, And the
WWE came on. I've never watched it and didn't intend to now.
But as soon as it started, with all it's rehearsed fakeness, My childhood interest came flooding back and i was glued to it with wide eyes! I knew it was dumb but i couldn't stop it! All the excitement and adrenaline i felt as a kid came flooding back and it was awesome!

I even knew the characters names for some reason, and that's kinda scary. Somewhere in my mind i must have taken in that information with some level of subconscious interest that i was unaware of over the years. How very bizarre!

Me, a church-going mum who enjoys scrap booking and gardening, who also now wants to watch professional pretend wrestling. I am amused by this! lol