
What is a garden weed? I would say a weed is a plant that takes over the garden and strangles other [wanted] plants in it's way.
But some 'weeds' are pretty. In our part of Australia there are pink/purple wild poppies that grow on the side of some roads. There are also some orange ones that only flower for half a day before the petals fall off. Both poppies are very pretty, but they both spread like wild fire and the foliage of both plants isn't very appealing.
But i have put these poppies in my garden and they look lovely. I also have thistles because they are pretty. But when they finish flowering i pull the plant out so they don't spread around.
The following year the orange poppies come up everywhere. But i just pull them out where ever i don't want them.
There's no reason why a "weed" can't be a lovely asset to a flower garden. I have more trouble trying to control a ground covering succulent that i do these weeds. [I'm sure this thing grows at the speed of light!]
Weed freedom i say!!
But some 'weeds' are pretty. In our part of Australia there are pink/purple wild poppies that grow on the side of some roads. There are also some orange ones that only flower for half a day before the petals fall off. Both poppies are very pretty, but they both spread like wild fire and the foliage of both plants isn't very appealing.
But i have put these poppies in my garden and they look lovely. I also have thistles because they are pretty. But when they finish flowering i pull the plant out so they don't spread around.
The following year the orange poppies come up everywhere. But i just pull them out where ever i don't want them.
There's no reason why a "weed" can't be a lovely asset to a flower garden. I have more trouble trying to control a ground covering succulent that i do these weeds. [I'm sure this thing grows at the speed of light!]
Weed freedom i say!!
The orange Poppies
The pink/purple Poppies. Looks nice amongst the irises huh?