Monday, March 17, 2008

Peppy

I have done something that needed to be done but i continualy feel terrible!
Peppy.....
Kept doing this to Lotus.....
Peppy was a lovely cat. She was affectionate and talkative. But to Lotus, she was an uncurable bully! Lotus is an old cat of 12 years. He just minds his own business and wants to be left alone. Peppy was 2 and saw Lotus as a weak link She chased/scratched him whenever possible. The above photo being the usual outcome. Lotus was continualy miserable as he'd have a fresh wound before the last one had even healed. Not to mention the vet was costing us hundreds a month. I'm sure we were keeping them in business!
We tried everything we could to make Peppy stop her bullying, but it just wouldn't stop. If anything, it got worse over time.
We tried to find her another home, but the vet said she was pretty much un-relocatable. She was very territorial and kept spraying inside. And if you patted her, she'd usualy bite. She was affectionate, but only on her terms [leg rubbing].
So after we exausted our options, we had to have Peppy put down.
I feel terrible about that, as i liked Peppy.
But the worst part of this story is 1. Peppy was Roses favourite cat. And 2. I had to lie to Rose about what was happening, and i hated that part most of all!
I told Rose that the day we took her to the vet, she was going to a new home where the person loved cats and she'll be very happy. Technically, if animals go to heaven, that's true.
But Rose now thinks that Peppy is running around happily in someones yard and it kills me!
I will tell her the truth one day, but right now i don't think she'll deal with it too well.
Untill then, It'll just have to eat at me.